As you triple check you’ve packed your passport, sunscreen and the bathers, you’re ready for your long-awaited, relaxing, do-nothing, beach holiday.
You’ve been planning it for months, and with a perfect itinerary, you know that once you get in the taxi on the way to the airport, you won’t have to worry about a thing.
Except you’re missing one big thing.
In all the excitement and anticipation, you haven’t thought about how to secure your home.
Don’t worry. We’ve got you covered with our 5 top tips to secure your home before you head on that long awaited holiday.
1. Make Your Pets a Priority
A pet sitter, a boarding kennel, kind friends, or neighbours, whatever you end up choosing, please understand that your pet is likely to become distressed and confused by the change in faces and routine.
Dogs, cats, birds, bunnies and hamsters all feel comfortable in a predictable and consistent routine.
You know your pets better than anyone else, so choose the option that will give you the most peace of mind, and enjoy your time away.
2. Do Your Paperwork
Take the following information with you on your trip:
- Phone numbers of friends and neighbours, including you doctor and dentist’s contact details
- Photocopies of birth certificates, prescriptions, health insurance, passports, visas, tickets, and credit card numbers.
Leave an emergency information folder behind:
- Include details of your itinerary
- What to do in an emergency and who to contact
- Copies of your passport, birth certificate, credit card numbers and health care information; along with any computer passwords
3. Kitchen and Laundry Appliances
- Shut off water lines to your washing machine. This will avoid flooding problems
- Turn off all appliances
- Clean out the fridge and take out all the rubbish – you don’t want to come home to a smelly house!
4. Newspapers and Deliveries
- Put a hold on your newspaper delivery
- Make arrangements for someone to pick up your mail for you. Thieves can easily see that you’re away if you have a mountain of mail on your doorstep.
5. Adjust your Lighting
Leaving a light on 24/7 while you’re away isn’t going to deter criminals. The same light on is equally likely to attract unwelcome attention as having no lights on at all. A better solution is to install a light switch timer, which will automatically turn your lights on and off at predetermined times.
Exterior lights activated by motion sensors can light up the dark areas around your property at night, which is a great way to deter criminals from targeting your home.
Hire My Home Watch!
My Home Watch will safeguard your house until you return.
My Home Watch is the trusted, professional, affordable way to have your property looked after while you’re away.
Your home is in safe hands with a My Home Watch Property Specialist.